Light Sensitivity

For the past 5 years or so, I have had a very strange condition: I have very quick-onset eye-strain from using most models of smartphone or laptop or desktop monitor. It comes on within about 20 seconds of exposure, and my eyes feel very tired, and there is a tightness in my head for a few minutes after (also makes me significantly irritable/anxious). This is to the point where it makes the quality of my life not worth living.At one point I was very concerned about my future as there's pretty much no career/job that doesn't require some degree of computer usage.Luckily after wasting a lot of money on experimental purchases, I found that certain older models of monitors do not cause this issue - I can look at them all day long with no problems (without my HP L1706 I wouldn't have my current job). Similarly I am stuck with an Amazon Fire phone from 4 years ago that is a major Pain in the ass to use, but at least I have a 'smartphone' (I have purchased and returned over 6 phones and paid Bestbuy's $35 restocking fee each time over the past 4 years in search of a better phone). Even phones with almost the same specs do not seem to work!One of the best days of my life was when I discovered that I could use the 2013 Mac Book pro (I was a windows person until then) with no issues whatsoever.I've found that it is always a binary depending on the screen - either no issues at all, or pretty significant eye strain fairly quickly (regardless of adjusting brightness, flicker rate, setting grey-scale, blue light filter, etc. - all of which extend the duration of use, but only by a minute or two).My current situation however is not sustainable - the devices that work for me are fast turning in to relics of the past, and I still cannot check my office mail on my phone for example, which puts me at a major disadvantage.Having exhausted every logical attempt to do something, I've decided to reach out to the Reddit community to see if any of you know anything about this, or have insights/suggestions/links that may be helpful to me. Thanks!P.S. This isn't an LED vs CCFL issue as my macbook uses an LED backlight.TLDR: Severe (and immediate) eye-strain from almost all screens (smartphones, laptops, monitors), but no issues whatsoever with some older screens - currently need to control my environment/bring my own screens to work and use a crappy old phone, which is affecting my work/career options, so I would like to find a solution that allows me to live a 'normal' life by figuring a way out. Or by finding a larger set of devices that I can use.

For the past 5 years or so, I have had a very strange condition: I have very quick-onset eye-strain from using most models of smartphone or laptop or desktop monitor. It comes on within about 20 seconds of exposure, and my eyes feel very tired, and there is a tightness in my head for a few minutes after (also makes me significantly irritable/anxious). This is to the point where it makes the quality of my life not worth living.

At one point I was very concerned about my future as there's pretty much no career/job that doesn't require some degree of computer usage.

Luckily after wasting a lot of money on experimental purchases, I found that certain older models of monitors do not cause this issue - I can look at them all day long with no problems (without my HP L1706 I wouldn't have my current job). Similarly I am stuck with an Amazon Fire phone from 4 years ago that is a major Pain in the ass to use, but at least I have a 'smartphone' (I have purchased and returned over 6 phones and paid Bestbuy's $35 restocking fee each time over the past 4 years in search of a better phone). Even phones with almost the same specs do not seem to work!

One of the best days of my life was when I discovered that I could use the 2013 Mac Book pro (I was a windows person until then) with no issues whatsoever.

I've found that it is always a binary depending on the screen - either no issues at all, or pretty significant eye strain fairly quickly (regardless of adjusting brightness, flicker rate, setting grey-scale, blue light filter, etc. - all of which extend the duration of use, but only by a minute or two).

My current situation however is not sustainable - the devices that work for me are fast turning in to relics of the past, and I still cannot check my office mail on my phone for example, which puts me at a major disadvantage.

Having exhausted every logical attempt to do something, I've decided to reach out to the Reddit community to see if any of you know anything about this, or have insights/suggestions/links that may be helpful to me. Thanks!

P.S. This isn't an LED vs CCFL issue as my macbook uses an LED backlight.

TLDR: Severe (and immediate) eye-strain from almost all screens (smartphones, laptops, monitors), but no issues whatsoever with some older screens - currently need to control my environment/bring my own screens to work and use a crappy old phone, which is affecting my work/career options, so I would like to find a solution that allows me to live a 'normal' life by figuring a way out. Or by finding a larger set of devices that I can use.

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J