Alexa video calling using old (non-connected) smartphone?

I am looking for a way for my mother-in-law to use the Alexa to Alexa video calling, but she does not have a smartphone and I don't want to input all of her contacts into my phone to set up this feature on an Echo Show/Spot (which is required currently). I am wondering if I buy an older smartphone, install the android Alexa app and mount it in her kitchen, if it will work to drop in and make video calls to our Show. The phone can have all her contacts and will be connected via wifi but no data/service. Would this work?

I am looking for a way for my mother-in-law to use the Alexa to Alexa video calling, but she does not have a smartphone and I don't want to input all of her contacts into my phone to set up this feature on an Echo Show/Spot (which is required currently). I am wondering if I buy an older smartphone, install the android Alexa app and mount it in her kitchen, if it will work to drop in and make video calls to our Show. The phone can have all her contacts and will be connected via wifi but no data/service. Would this work?

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J