Vive wand joystick mod.

It's pretty ugly but it worksAfter seeing those little suction joysticks for smartphones, I had an idea to make something similar for my Vive wand with a 3d printing pen that I had laying around.I'm not here to bash the vive's touchpads, however, I've never been able to get used to them for artificial locomotion. This little mod made a world of difference for me with its tactile feedback, self centering, and prevention of unintentional touches.To build it I simply put a layer of masking tape over the vive wand, drew the design on the tape with a sharpy, and then traced it directly on to the controller with my 3d printing pen. after peeling it off I formed and flattened a foil ball in the center to transfer the capacitive touch. It registers just fine and the foil glides quite smoothly across the touchpad.I'm sure that with a proper 3d printer, this mod could be improved to offer smoother motion and better attachment to the vive wand without the need for tape.

It's pretty ugly but it works

After seeing those little suction joysticks for smartphones, I had an idea to make something similar for my Vive wand with a 3d printing pen that I had laying around.

I'm not here to bash the vive's touchpads, however, I've never been able to get used to them for artificial locomotion. This little mod made a world of difference for me with its tactile feedback, self centering, and prevention of unintentional touches.

To build it I simply put a layer of masking tape over the vive wand, drew the design on the tape with a sharpy, and then traced it directly on to the controller with my 3d printing pen. after peeling it off I formed and flattened a foil ball in the center to transfer the capacitive touch. It registers just fine and the foil glides quite smoothly across the touchpad.

I'm sure that with a proper 3d printer, this mod could be improved to offer smoother motion and better attachment to the vive wand without the need for tape.

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J